Saturday, August 6, 2011

Akwaaba v2.0

Hello all!!

I know it been a while since I was here, but due to being busy with the orphanage, then getting to tired playing basketball, this is the first time I've been able to come to the internet. And of course the first thing I checked was the Rider game, since I didn't get a text telling me what happened from a certain someone...

My trip here was actually pretty good. There were no flight delays at all and I didn't have to rush anywhere, it was nice compared to my last trip. I got to Accra at 7 on Tuesday night. Met the Projects Abroad guy at the airport and then waited for a few minutes to get the other volunteer that was on my flight. We then jumped in a taxi and headed to the office where we could sleep. It was quiz night for the volunteers in Accra, but we were too tired, so we went and hung out in my room and talked for a while. I went to bed early because I had to get up a 3 am to catch the bus to Kumasi. I had done that last time and wasn't looking forward to the bus ride. The bus left at 4:30 and we got off the bus in Kumasi at 9:30.

The ride wasn't too bad actually. When we got off the bus, I was looking around to see if I knew where we were, and right away I knew exactly where we were. I was then picked up by Anthony, the projects abroad guy that lives in Kumasi, and he took me back to Beatrice's house. After a quick breakfast where Anthony asked me how much I remembered from here, we went to the market. And instead of him taking me on induction, I took him, he wanted to see if I new my way around. So when we got to the market I led him around and didn't get lost at all.

It wasn't at all like my first day last year, because this year I knew what was going on and it was more like two friends walking around then having lunch than anything. After lunch, we headed out to the meeting where I called home for the first time. I patiently waited for Gabby, Enoch and Cheif to show up, they work for projects abroad and I got to know them well last year. It was like meeting really old friends. Anthony said that I have been the only volunteer to come back to Kumasi and volunteer. Even though everyone says they will, he didn't believe them anymore. But he said I proved him wrong.

I went to the Kumasi Childrens home on Thursday morning, and was worried that I would not be able to work in the girls home like last time. Due to a situation with another volunteer at the girls home. But I was hoping that Auntie Esther would remember me and let me stay, and she had no problem with letting me stay. I was so happy. I quickly looked around for the girls I remembered, and most of them were there. I asked Auntie Esther about the few that weren't there, and she said that Grace and Tenguay had left, whether to their parents or adopted she never said. I asked her about Adwoa, because she wasn't there either, but she said she didn't remember, so I'm going to have to bring a picture of her and see what happened. I'm kinda worried, because she was my princess and she was not very healthy, and I'm not sure if anyone would have adopted her, but you never know, I'll see on monday hopefully.

I did check in with some of the boys and will have to update the other former volunteers through facebook about what happend to some of them and whether they are still there or not.

I don't really have many pictures yet, I've been just enjoying my time. But I will post more later.





This is from a tro-tro today on the way to the market. The tro ride took probably 45 mins. We were stuck in traffic for ever.

Its weird here because I don't feel like I've left at all, but its been almost a year since I was here last. It feels like I've been here forever and really it hasn't even been a week. I already know that I don't really want to leave this place.

I'll update more later, more about where I live and stuff. I don't want to take all my time on the internet on this post.

Oh, and comment if you want. I love getting comments.

2 comments:

  1. The Riders might have won on Friday night if they had had some Hjelte hips playing for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's my comment. You have fun and enjoy those little girls. Sorry that some of them are not there but love the new ones you meet. They need all the love and hugs they can get.

    By the way, the Riders will get better!!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete